Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hodge-podging [#03]

Time for me to shoot from the hip.

Fred Allen wasn't funny.  Ever.  He was interesting and brilliant but not funny.  He was usually the straight man.  Great timing - just not funny.

No OTR show was better than "The Six Shooter", the James Stewart vehicle.  Everything about the show is smooth, easy and as professional as you could possible expect.  Every episode is really worth listening to, even if you don't like Westerns.

Bea Benaderet
The early days of Gunsmoke make for a different listening experience than the later episodes.  In the early episodes, Doc is greedy and it appears for all the world that Matt Dillon only "puts up with him" because he has to.

Jack Benny as "Buck Benny" isn't funny. Ever. And there are more than 10 Benny episodes about Buck Benny. Maybe it was funny then but it sure doesn't hold up today. That doesn't mean I don't listen to them, because I do. I just don't laugh...

I hold "I Was a Communist for the FBI" in almost the same esteem as I do, "The Six Shooter."

The early Whistler episodes are boring to me because I'll bet the same cast is used in 15 of the first 25 episodes.

I really wish there were more "People Are Funny" episodes available to listen to. By my count there are only 22 of them out there. Art Linkletter and the writers came up with some fun bits.

I don't own a television set.

One of the most versatile actresses of radio (and early TV) was Bea Benaderet.  But as the maid/cook on the early days of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, I just dislike her character (Gloria) so much that I often pass up the episode.

Did you ever wonder what kind of sickness kept Marian Jordan (Molly) off of Fibber McGee and Molly for 18 months (1937-1939)?  According to Greg Bell, it was alcoholism.

Does anyone really listen to Life With Luigi, Alan Young and Jimmy Durante?

Is there anyone funnier than Groucho Marx?

If you have never heard the early and hilarious Bill Cosby talk about The Lone Ranger on radio, now is your chance. And don't miss this 1966 clip of Cosby yukking it up about Lights Out.

4 comments:

  1. Most of what you said, I would agree to. I would like to listen to 'People Are Funny' and 'Truth or Consequences.' I can not find them on mysteryshows.com. About 'I Was A Communist for the FBI, I can never figure out why that guy would live the life that he did. I get drained just listening to it. He certainly was a loner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can steer you to PAF: try here - ToC - try here

    Cvetic had his whole life ruined by working for the FBI as his his family hated him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the two links. I downloaded the two shows and will become part of my regular listening. More people ought to be asking you stuff as you are a true Boston Blackie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to do it. And yes, I try to be most-accomodating.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...