Sunday, March 6, 2011

Interviewing my special guest: "Boston Blackie"

"Boston Blackie" and I met on an old-time radio forum more than 6 months ago.  Over the past few weeks, we have really got to know each other.

His knowledge and memories of old-time radio run pretty deep and I am most honored to have him here as my special guest today.


OTR Buffet:  Please tell us a little something about you and your history of old-time radio.  How did it all begin for you?

"Boston Blackie": My early memories of radio are wide. I remember going to my aunt’s house and everyone surrounded the radio to listen to Gabriel Heatter. I seem to recall listening to Louella Parsons as well.

At home I recall listening to Boston Blackie, People Are Funny, Truth or Consequences, Lux Theater, Little Theater at the Corner (title not sure), My Friend Irma, and Wisconsin Badger basketball. Those programs I remember listening to while upstairs in bed with my brother or my sister.

Downstairs with my parents we listened to Fibber McGee & Molly and Life with Luigi. My mother listened to Bing Crosby.

Coming home from school it was Challenge of the Yukon and after supper it was The Adventures of Superman and the Lone Ranger. In my real early years it was Buster Brown, Terry and the Pirates, Let’s Pretend and some others I don’t recall the names. At Christmas time it was Billie the Brownie on Milwaukee radio.

Somewhere in there I know I listened to Tom Mix. As I had mentioned to you before I had a red and white beany cap with buttons of all the Tom Mix cast. In addition a lot of other radio stars as well like Roy Rogers and such. I also remember specifically listening to The Shadow with my brother and friends while walking down to Lake Michigan. The Green Hornet and the Gene Autry Melody Ranch were popular on our transistor radio while laying around at the Racine Zoo.

I know this is a scatter-about response, but, so are my memories. In my later youth I remember listening to The Fat Man. All these shows soon were bounced out of my life when we got our first TV. As a kid we said - radio is old stuff, we want TV - which was close to having movies right in your home. I sometimes regret that as now I have found so many shows I like that I was never exposed to them, like Gunsmoke or The Falcon and such. TV took over our lives. Radio mainly remained for us for the rock and roll music that was beginning to be played.

My mother used to listen to the soaps while doing her daily routines. While making the beds, she listened to A Queen for a Day. Later afternoon were the day time dramas. Ma Perkins, My Gal Sunday, Stella Dallas and Romance of Helen Trent. I am sure there were others, but, do not come to mind. I heard these shows because my mother had them on and I was home most likely because I was ill and there was no TV to watch. My response to an earlier blog post also mentioned that I recall listening to evening shows by candlelight. Not because we had no electricity, could not have heard radio then, but, it was a continuation of war time saving efforts. Listening to radio and eating popcorn was a popular thing.

The one show my folks listened to in the evening was Life with Luigi. At the time I thought was funny and it still is somewhat funny. But, I am not as crazy about it as I am for Fibber McGee & Molly.

As I got older, TV took over. Besides, the radio was used to hear music, and in my particular interest, rock and roll. That pushed out any old time radio shows for me. The show I listened to was the Howard Miller Show. Howard Miller would present new records and the hits of the day.

Which shows were my favorites? I think all the ones above as those are the ones I will forever remember. Yes, some were more important at different times of my life, but important never-the-less. I should mention the one football game I will never forget, SMU and Notre Dame. It was because Bill Stern was doing the announcing and was pitting the Catholics against the Methodists that only Bill Stern could portray. I also recall the game between Northwestern and California (I think) in the first Rose Bowl that I remember. Wisconsin football games against Michigan were always special because it was special to my dad. We had relatives living in Michigan and thus, we had to beat the crap out of them.

But, when it comes to OTR it is really Boston Blackie that stands out the most for me. Now I know there were better mystery shows on the air, but, back then, that was to me the best show. So its still sticks with me and it is why I use it often as my name.

OTR Buffet: You took your radio to the zoo?

"Boston Blackie": Yes, it that was a big thing back then. It was the advent of the transistor radio. Hey, you did not need to plug it in and it worked on batteries. The Racine Zoo is right off Lake Michigan. We had no air conditioning and so us kids went to the zoo and hung out on blankets and got the lake breeze during hot summer nights. To help entertain us we had our new transistor radio and listened the the shows mentioned above.

OTR Buffet: I know you have told me in the past you like Bill Stern Sports Newsreel and you, like me, are a big sports fan. Could you say a little something about Bill Stern and what comes to your mind when you think about him?

"Boston Blackie": Bill Stern was an icon. A great voice and knew how to use it. Yes, he sensationalized his topics, but, it made it entertaining. I do not remember listening to the Bill Stern’s show, but must have. I do recall the Colgate song in his show. When I was a teenager my friends and I played APBA baseball board game and we fantasized about our made up teams. My team, the San Francisco Scarlet Tanagers (at this time there were no west coast teams as St.Louis was the furthest west of any team) and Bill Stern was my announcer. This is all another story for a different audience, but, it did involve Bill Stern and how he crept into my life.

OTR Buffet: What shows keep you going today?

"Boston Blackie": I like Gunsmoke. The sound effects are solid and Matt Dillon portrayed by Bill Conrad is so good. The stories are generally done well and the side characters are good. I am also amazed that every Damon Runyon Theatre is good. This is not a typical show like the westerns or mystery ones, but, most are heart warming. No real big stars in this show, just good stories and usually about simple things. Other shows that I perk up when they come on are: My Friend Irma, Our Miss Brooks, The Falcon, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Amos & Andy, Broadway Is My Beat, Casey Crime Photographer, Gildersleeve, Nero Wolfe, Nightbeat, and Yours Truly Johnny Dollar. Others I like, but rank these ahead of them. I should say I still listen to Boston Blackie out of sentiment.

OTR Buffet: Have you ever noticed how similar Nightbeat is with the say, last 35 episodes of Box 13? They could be brothers!

"Boston Blackie" Blackie": No, we have not heard that many Box 13 shows yet. It is on our listening cue though. What endures us to Nightbeat is that it takes place in Chicago and from time to time mentions certain landmarks.

Main cast of the Great Gildersleeve show
OTR Buffet:  What are your favorite Comedies?

"Boston Blackie":  My Friend Irma, Our Miss Brooks, Amos & Andy, Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny and Burns and Allen.  I always seem to laugh when listening to them, even when I am half a sleep.  Of those listed I think I like Gildersleeve the best.  He and Leroy are the highlights of the show.  The Judge Hooker fits in well too.

OTR Buffet: I love Gildy as well.  There is a terrific rapport between Walter Tetley and Harold Peary.

"Boston Blackie": When you think of otr one has to recall Walter Tetley and his voice.  He had a voice that seemed authentic.  Even though he was older than the kid you picture the voice to be, it was so natural.  His delivery was so timely and one would swear it was a teen responding like a kid would.  The same could be said when he was on the Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show.  He worked so well with Phil Harris and Elliott Lewis.  I know that Stan Freeberg really liked him.  This was brought numerous times on When Radio Was Show on CBS when Stan was the host.

OTR Buffet: Do you have any least favorite Comedies?

"Boston Blackie":  A Date with Judy, The Couple Next Door are ones I listen to but not my favorites.  Ones I do not listen to are Milton Berle and Abbott and Costello along with Fred Allen.  Fred is my least favorite as it is too corny for me.   Easy Aces and Lum and Abner I do not download as well.  Why?  Good question.  All I know I am not motivated to listen to them.  Slap stick comedy I no longer like even though it appealed to me as a youngster.  I might be prejudiced against Lum and Abner.  I knew a guy from where I last worked with that loved that show and I could not stand him.  That might have some influence on the show.  But, also, to be honest, it never appealed to me as well.

OTR Buffet:  I love Lum and Abner!

"Boston Blackie":  Oh yes you do.  A lot of otr radio buffs love that show along with Fred Allen.  I never could get interested in them.

OTR Buffet:  What are your favorite Mysteries?

"Boston Blackie":  I guess I should include "Boston Blackie" for reason stated above.  Also like The Falcon, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Broadway Is My Beat, Casey, Crime Photographer and Nightbeat.  I guess Yours Truly Johnny Dollar should be included.   The Johnny Dollar is only acceptable to me with Bailey as Johnny.  I really like the Tales of the Texas Rangers.  Crime is committed and the Rangers are hot on the trail.  Stories seem real and it keeps me awake at night to hear the end of the story.   I forgot to mention Nero Wolfe.  I really like that show as well.

OTR Buffet: If I had one OTR wish it would be great sound for every series.  The Tales of the Texas Rangers stuff that we are left with are not re-recorded very well.   It's sad.

"Boston Blackie":  You are right about that.  On the other hand I am thankful with what we do have.  I often listen to otr and try to recall it all really sounded when I was young.  You know, some stations really did not come in so well either.  The advent of FM where sound was really good was not used for otr, but usually opera or classical music.  Regarding sports, I was first a St.Louis Browns fan, but, became a Cardinals' fan when the Browns moved to Baltimore.  So I listened to Cardinals games at night in Racine via KMOX in St.Louis.  Needless to say, the quality of the reception stunk, but, a baseball fan I was and still am, I kept listening to the Cards from old Sportsman's Park in St.Louis.

OTR Buffet: Are there any Mystery programs you don't like?

"Boston Blackie":  Ellery Queen, Crime and Peter Chambers, and Barry Craig.   Ellery Queen because his solutions seem to be hidden from the listener.  I do not mind a guest giving their response, but, usually not too much thought put into it.  Chambers and Craig put me to sleep way too soon.  Might be do to the quality of the sound of those shows.

OTR Buffet: Do you have any least favorite Westerns?

"Boston Blackie":  Frontier Town.  I listen and sometimes not too bad.  Do not care for the sidekick on the show.  His voice is disturbing to me.  Sometimes I think he is trying to be W.C. Fields and that ain’t good.

OTR Buffet: Do you like radio Science Fiction?

"Boston Blackie":   Do not listen to these shows as my wife does not care for them and since we listen together, I’ll keep our marriage intact.  If I were to listen to any of them it would be X-Minus One.

OTR Buffet:  Do you have any favorite that may not fit into the above categories?

"Boston Blackie":  Did not list these three shows above anywhere, but, like to listen to them.  One is Dangerous Assignment and the other one is Halls of Ivy.  The third is The Adventures of Rocky Jordan.  In addition to these 30 minute shows, I also like I Love a Mystery serial.  Good stuff.  Regarding serials I listen to Perry Mason and Chandu the Magician.  I will be starting the Superman serials with my next queue.  Serials are a little tough for us to listen to as we cue up our shows and it takes so long to get through them.  So it is easy to forget what happened last.   But, they are good and do not want to miss hearing them.

OTR Buffet:  It was actually you that got me into Halls of Ivy.  I'd like for you to explain what you think it is that makes the shows so special...

Halls of Ivy stars: The Colmans
"Boston Blackie":  When I first started to listen to it I thought it was boring and the sound quality was bad.  But, I stuck with it and the boring show became one of charm.  It had subtle humor and great strength in messages that are good for the soul.  One particular show, the one where our college president and his wife are trying to get to an important meeting with a huge donor to the college, stands out.  That meeting meant money, big money for the school.  On the way there they run into problems with traffic and need to walk there to be on time.  But, on the way, a stray dog appears and the adventure that follows is just so good.  That dog became more important than the stinking money.  It was a great show to illustrate there are things more important than money.  Yes, today it may seem silly, but, it is not!   One of the many lessons learned from the Halls of Ivy.  Other shows relate to cheating, being a friend, honor, along with warm stories about their past life in England.  Love that show.  At times like this I wish I was better with words to be able to give my feelings about this show justice.

OTR Buffet: What show do you wish you had more of to listen to?

"Boston Blackie":  I have more shows than I can possibly listen to now.  This is thanks to The Mystery Clubhouse and your helpful downloads.  Now with OTRR available I have more than I can deal with.  Shows that had short life on radio we can do nothing about, like the Six Shooter.  I also like Michael Shayne and my list is not real big as well.  But, there is so much I do like and will never get through them all, like Great Gildersleeve and Gunsmoke.

OTR Buffet:  I like Michael Shayne as well and I need to get around and write about that show.  Some of those shows are incredibly good - but others aren't so great.

Is there a series that existed once but now there are no known copies, that you would like to hear?

"Boston Blackie":  For me it would be old baseball games from the 40's and 50's.  Not many exists.  Even then, I would not need to listen to many, just a few more.  Of course my favorite teams would be more interesting.

OTR Buffet: By what primary means do you listen to your OTR?

"Boston Blackie":  We listen to OTR on our iPod that is docked into our Bose docking machine and speakers.  The speakers allows both of us to listen at the same time.

OTR Buffet: How many hours a day and week do you listen to OTR? Do you have a listening schedule or is it just random? (If you have a schedule, tell me about it.)

"Boston Blackie": My wife and I listen to OTR when we retire to bed. We can get through at least one a night, but, sometimes up to three. If we have a tough night, maybe we wake up in the middle of night and listen to some more. I usually cue about 100 different shows and we listen to all of those. It will take approximately one month to get through them. A couple of the 15 minute serials, I put two of them on so it will be like the regular 30 minute shows. My cue contains all type of shows, mysteries, westerns, serials, comedies and dramas. Some of the shows we will eventually run out of, but, let’s face it, the Gunsmokes and Gildersleeves will last beyond my lifetime.

OTR Buffet: Do you have any favorite actors or actress in radio?

"Boston Blackie": I like James Stewart, Frank Lovejoy and Bob Bailey. I like James Stewart’s delivery, Frank Lovejoy’s voice and Bob Bailey’s performances. I remember James Stewart from the movies as well as Frank Lovejoy. Only Bob Bailey from recent collecting of OTR shows.

OTR Buffet: No favorite radio actress?

Cathy Lewis
"Boston Blackie": I do like Cathy Lewis. In addition to My Friend Irma she played in so many different radio shows. She had a good voice for radio. For some reason though, I have not caught onto On Stage. I like Elliott Lewis as well and I expected more than what I get from On Stage. Have not heard them all yet, but so far disappointed. The ones you mention above are good as well. I was always surprised on how many shows Shirley Mitchell was in. Marian Jordan as Molly is good as well. The combination of Fibber and her are so entertaining. Her playing Teeny visiting them is always funny. Most times we always heard Molly going upstairs or downstairs, anywhere, and then the door bell rings and behold, here is Teeny. Teeny always got the best of Fibber.

OTR Buffet:  Yes, she did.  Thanks so much for the time you took to do this with me and as Teeny would say, "Well, so long Mister!"

©Jimbo 2010/2011

5 comments:

  1. Mrs Boston BlackieMarch 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM

    Upon reading my husband's (Boston Blackie's) interview, the thought occured to me that my early years saw the death of OTR. I am four years younger than Boston Blackie. My memories of the great OTR shows - Hopalong Cassidy, Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, Gildersleeve, Life of Riley, Amos and Andy, Have Gun Will Travel, etc. - are limited to the television versions of those shows. My memories of OTR are limited to those that a preschooler would have had - my mom listening to soaps on the radio on top of the fridge, being glued to the Cinnamon Bear at Christmas time, and sneaking a listen to the shows my parents were listening to while I was suppose to be sleeping. Those four years difference in our ages is the difference of a generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mrs. BB, that's a very powerful, sad and true statement.

    It seems to me that a certain amount of innocence and naivety was also lost from the family transition of radio to TV. Sure, times change but there are leaps and bounds that are made than change more than technology. I think the leap from radio to TV probably did more damage to relationships as a whole than we are probably aware of.

    Thanks for your comment, Mrs. BB. (And don't be a stranger.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Boston BlackieMarch 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM

    Loss of a certain amount of innocence and naivety were not the only consequences of the death of OTR. The advent of television also supressed peoples' use of their imagination. Imagination can be such a powerful and helpful tool in dealing with life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's probably very true. I don't know how it was in the radio-only day but I know people who rarely talk in their homes when they are watching TV.

    The stifle of conversation a very bad foundation for relations men/women and children, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will add my two cents to this. Radio taught people to LISTEN. Today people really do not listen to people. People tend to talk at each other, but NEVER listen to the each other.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...