Sunday, January 9, 2011

The time machine

I've been thinking about this a while... I'd love to incorporate yet another blog branch into the OTR Buffet.  It would be called, "The Golden Years" and deal with Americana (not just OTR) from 1939 to 1963.  It would not be about the war(s) but be about the effects of the World War and the Korean War in America - and how that time was probably the most precious time in America's history. 

America changed shortly before President Kennedy was killed.  The 25 years preceding that are what we continually celebrate.  I feel priviledged to do that.  It makes me feel good to know I can reach back anytime I want to walk into 1943.

I'm pretty sure the non-OTR listener would never understand (or even want to try to) what we all do everyday.  I don't dress 1943.  I don't eat 1943.  I don't drive 1943.  There's no World War surrounding me.  There are no Bonds that I am pressured to buy.  There are no meatless Tuesdays, no Victory Gardens.  No housing shortage.  No nickle Pepsi Colas.

But I live 1943 - at least I do when I choose to. 

As I have often said here and around (again, not understood by the non-OTR fan) we have access to a time machine.  They can poo-poo the idea all they want; I am livng proof that the time machine works.  Those Golden Years are just a press of a button away.

What's ironic about all of this is that I was born in the city and on the same day that the President was killed.  I feel - in some strange way - that I am a possessor of some sort of bottled "quality" that I cannot explain.

Yet when you boil it all down, it goes back to old-time radio and how powerful of a tool it becomes to you when you surround yourself with it.

I assure you, I am not crazy - and I'm pretty sure most of you know exactly what I am talking about. 

We (OTR fans) are blessed with this magical gift - but irony exists there too because anyone can have it and use it but 99.9% refuse to acknowledge it's enormous mind-bending, life-changing characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...