Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hodge-podging about The Shadow and other stuff

Do you ever wonder what interested Margot Lane in Lamont Cranston? Once he turns into The Shadow, he kind of gets creepy.


For one thing, Margot has no idea where he is unless he reveals himself to her. Just how many times do you think he visited her in her bedroom or shower at her house without her knowledge? And I'm sure since he had the ability to be invisible, he was probably tomcatting around at other girl's houses not named Margot Lane.

That aside, Lamont was pretty weird as it was. He often took her to places like crypts, prisons and subjected her to spiritualists of all sorts, murderers, hyptnotists, rogue law officials, kidnappers, etc. What was he thinking?

And Margo never protested. Never. Maybe she was hypnotized? Now your imagination can really run wild.

Okay, here's something for you think about: the internet is blessed with a whole lot of The Shadow magazine covers; you can find them readily.  What I want to know is this:  if he's "THE SHADOW" on the magazine cover, how are we able to see him on the magazine cover?  And did he wear the hat and scarf all the time?  Why wear a scarf (to obviously hide your identity) when you are invisible to begin with?

Of course you know Orson Welles was the second (not the first) Shadow and of course you SHOULD know that it wasn't his laugh they used, it was a recording of Frank Readick's laugh (he was the first Shadow.)
--

I mentioned in my lists the other day how I can't stand it when announcer Jackson Beck (Adventures of Superman) always tells the listener that "Dick Grayson, who is secretly Robin" or "Bruce Wayne, who is secretly Batman" - hey Jackson, WE KNOW THIS. We're not stupid. Tell us once, if you have to. But don't tell us this everytime you have a chance to talk.

Nothing against Jackson Beck - who had the greatest announcing voice ever. The script writers deserve a large raspberry, though.

Speaking of Robin, I got a chance to meet Burt Ward (who was secretly Robin on the TV version in the 1960's) when I was 5 or 6 years old. I also got his autograph on an 8x10. I wonder where that went to?

--

I would be doing a podcast (rather Podgecast) right now, but since no one even breathed a "oh that was horrible" or "oh that was cool", I just figure you guys hate that sort of thing and have gone back to the old-fashioned way of doing things.

It's too bad. I had a bunch of cool bloopers lined up to let you hear in the middle the the Podgecast...

--

I think out of all the stuff I do on the internet that is OTR-related, I get the biggest kick out of finding old advertisements in newspapers. My new blog, OTR Advertisements is the most fun to put together.

All of the blogs are a lot of work and time-consuming. What you don't see is the hours and hours and hours of time I spend just looking for stuff.

I've been up more than 24 hours straight right now because I found some new ads in some newspapers and I am downloading them. I have to cut them out, sort them and then post them.

Frankly, I have way too much to do!

I'm very sure you guys tire of reading about me pouting about, "I have too much to do." Hahaha too bad.

--

I really enjoy comments on the blog. You can comment "off-topic" whenever you like. You can say anything you want as long as it's not some crazy stuff - because I'll delete that.

--

If anyone has a suggestion about something they'd like to see me tackle or search for - some particular series I haven't covered or whatever, leave me a comment. I am most accomodating.

3 comments:

  1. Your comments on the Shadow was humerous. What do you think of the show Let George Do It? I like Bob Baily, but show is not is good as Johnny Dollar. Bob Baily is Johnny Dollar, so have some problem with that. It starts similar to Box 13 with the letter being read that is asking for help. He has his sidekick Brooksie. Sort of reminds me of Harry Nile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments BB.

    You may recall, I hodge-podged about LGDI here. I think I will tackle Let George Do It either today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do listen regularly to Philo Vance by Jackson Beck. It is a decent show, but, not outstanding. Good enough for us to listen in my regular cue stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...