Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review: (Ripley's) Believe It or Not!

As far as I can tell, there are 2 different Believe It or Not! series floating around the internet.

The first series is from the mid to late 1930's.  It starred Robert Ripley himself, who was frightened of the mike.  A little research will show you he was so frightened, the producer of the show made him drink before each broadcast to settle his nerves.  The script shook in his hand out of fear.  This series was known as Believe It or Not!

That 15 minute series - which few have heard - comes with a singing star (believe it or not.)  I can't imagine what they were thinking.  Surely Ripley had enough material to fill up 15 minutes?  So were the times, I suppose...

Anyway, there are 25 or so of these shows available on the internet.  And I have heard everyone one of them.  It just doesn't hold up well; the sound is bad - the music is worse and Ripley is horrible.

The other series is called Ripley's Believe It or Not! and I cannot find any background information about the show.  Ripley died in 1949 and these appear to be done in the 1950's ,1960's or 1970's.  I just don't know.  Ripley is obviously not the narrator.  The sound quality is very good and the "shows" last just one minute each.  They were syndicated because there's a spot for a commercial - but no commercial exists in the remaining product.

Each one minute show will have two dramatic facts.  And there are close to 400 shows available - believe it or not.

I'd give these short shows a 5 star rating, so if you can find them - get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...