Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The lady who says 'yes' to everything

Pert Kelton
Earlier on this blog, I explored The Milton Berle Show and briefly talked about "the lady who says 'yes' to everything."

I was poorly informed then but I know now that character's name is Martha Harrison. She and Sam (her husband) are the next door neighbors to the Berle's at the end-of-show home scene. The character is most-probably played by Pert Kelton.

The Harrisons don't show up on every show - sadly, only on about one out of every three shows.

In my opinion, the Martha Harrision character is one of the funniest in old-time radio and she does this by only uttering the word, "yes." If you will listen to the clip (which is a clip of the whole skit), you will be able to hear her say "yes" in her different ways.

One of these days I plan on putting together an audio montage or her saying 'yes' - every time she did it. I would not doubt that those many times would all sound different (but that's for another day.)

Meanwhile, enjoy this clip, which is about poker. (There will be a short delay before the clip starts.)




©Jimbo 2010/2011

3 comments:

  1. I hear that 'yes' and it sounds like a man's voice. Are you sure it is a woman that responds (I know it is his wife, but, still think it is a man). If it is the one in the picture I am stunned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I just checked - I keep forgetting we have Voicechasers - that's quite a place - although they could use some updating (no, I'm not volunteering!)

    If you haven't looked over that site, I suggest you do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milton Berle's voice, possibly? The audience reaction seems excessive, as though they were not only hearing this voice but watching Milton doing it live, which made it more hilarious for them. Pert Kelton was very feminine and couldn't have had such a deep voice--it's more like a man pretending to be a woman. Perhaps a TV clip of Uncle Miltie famously in a woman's clothes would show him using this voice.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...