Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Interviewing my special guest: Bob Braaksma

Bob Braaksma runs Silly Snowman Radio -- an OTR Radio Station. They broadcast 24/7 on the internet and very soon also terrestrial on AM 1680 Edmonton, AB, Canada -- and he is a member of the Canadian Old Time Radio Alliance. He graciously provided me with an e-mail interview last week. 

OTR Buffet:   Please tell us a little something about you and your history of old-time radio.  How did it all begin for you? 

Bob Braaksma:  I started with collecting old radio commercials. I'm especially fond of old car and boat ads. From that point, every time a heard something I liked, it became part of the collection.
The one.  The only. Groucho

My earliest memories include listening to short wave broadcasts with my father. The ones that interested me most were the mystery shows like Suspense, The Whistler and many more.

OTR Buffet:   Is there anything you can tell us about Canadian OTR, especially anything from the Golden Age (1940's or 1950's?)

Bob Braaksma:  I am a member of the Canadian Old Time Radio Alliance. Their website would summarize a good answer to this question. 
The main radio cast of Gunsmoke

OTR Buffet:   What shows keep you going today?

Bob Braaksma:  My current collection contains about 25,000 otr shows, 3000 commercials and about 5000 news clips. Currently my interests lie with finding all the Canadian made otr broadcasts.

OTR Buffet:  What are your favorite OTR Comedies and why?

Bob Braaksma:  Overall I would have to say anything with Groucho Marx. Mainly his quick wit and cynicism.

OTR Buffet:   You say you like Amos 'n' Andy.  Do you ever feel any guilty listening to the show because of the stereotypes - do the pressures of political correctness bother you regarding this show?

Bob Braaksma:  No, I don't feel guilty. The past is history, and entertainment history helps me learn about past social attitudes. A show like Amos n' Andy gives me insight into what was considered comedy long before I was born.

OTR Buffet:   I have tried listening to Life with Luigi but I just can't get into it - but you are the second enthusiast I have found who really likes the show - try talking me into listening to the show again?

Bob Braaksma:  Well, like anything, you either like it or you don't. For me, being the son of an immigrant to Canada, there are a lot of scripts in the show that remind me of situations my father faced in a new country.

OTR Buffet:  Do you have any least favorite Comedies?

Bob Braaksma:  There are not any specific otr comedy shows that I could say are least favourite. The content of some episodes is of course, dated, and therefore not that humorous in today's day and age.

OTR Buffet:  What are your favorite OTR Mysteries and why?

Bob Braaksma:  Too many to list. But here are some: Nightfall, Vanishing Point, The Whistler, Suspense, The Kranken Wakes, etc. A mystery, when it takes my imagination on a journey or adventure away from the everyday, is always enjoyable.

OTR Buffet:   What are your favorite OTR Westerns?

Bob Braaksma:  Gunsmoke because it's very entertaining and the characters are classic western. The Lone Ranger, mainly because listening to it helps me to remember being a kid and listening to it.

OTR Buffet:   What are your favorite OTR Science Fiction shows and why?

Bob Braaksma:  Personally, I'm not a big sci-fi fan. However I own a lot of it!  I think that there is a lot of items called sci-fi that  could also be categorized  as mystery or thriller. I love mystery, if it's out of this world, that's ok too.

OTR Buffet:  What show do you wish you had more of to listen to?

Bob Braaksma: Most of these.

OTR Buffet:   How many hours a day and week do you listen to OTR?  Do you have a listening schedule or is it just random?

Bob Braaksma:  I am always monitoring the radio station. So I listen all day most everyday.   Schedule.

OTR Buffet:  By what primary means do you listen to your OTR? 

Bob Braaksma:  Computer, iphone and once our AM transmitter is installed, on my car's radio!

OTR Buffet:  Please tell me who the best actor and actress in OTR is?

Bob Braaksma:  Orson Welles and Harriet Nelson.

OTR Buffet:   Tell us something about your blog and website?

Bob Braaksma:  The station's blog provides listeners with a brief desciption of the shows that air on the radio. We are always updating, adding shows that are currently playing and shows that will be aired in the future.

OTR Buffet: Thanks so much for you time and for answering my questions!

©Jimbo 2010/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...