Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Big Town notes

I love Edward G. Robinson as newspaper editor Steve Wilson on the show Big Town - and I often thought he was the driving force behind the show. But I've heard 4 episodes now with Una Munson as Lorelei (she replaced Claire Trevor.) While Munson is fine in the part, the shows have no life without Trevor.

There is a definite acting chemistry between Robinson and Trevor. As you may know, Trevor won an Academy Award for the film, Key Largo, in which Robinson also starred.

She the stars of the cast for Big Town here.

©Jimbo 2010/2011

2 comments:

  1. I have only listened to the later shows and not with Edward G. Robinson. I guess I have believed (correctly or not) that the more recent shows would have better quality. I guess this leads to a question for you, Do the real early shows have as good sound quality as later shows in general? I have made a point to avoid the early shows if possible for that reason. Although there has been times I avoided early shows because of the format of the shows, especially in comedies. Too much bantor and not enough plot. But, sound quality is important to us as my wife has a tough time hearing muffled voices. I don't care for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the 1938-1939 shows don't have perfect sound quality but it's not "bad."

    It seems to me at least 2 of the surviving EGRobinson/Claire Trevor episodes are rehearsals and one of them is like like one of the swellest episodes you ever heard. It's 390630 Reform School (rehearsal).

    I have heard lots of the 1942+ plus episodes - pffft- I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...