Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hodge-podging about changing my OTR routine

Al "California Here I Come" Jolson
Unlike most OTR listeners, I follow a rather strict listening schedule. I won't go through the whole thing for you because it's not important but last night happened to be "Crime Night" and that's one of my favorite nights.

I spend usually anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a day listening to old-time radio. I think it's essential for my work on the
blogs. I figure (since I usually bypass both commercials and music, plus the fact that I listen to two 15-minute serials with regularity) that I probably listen to 80 or so programs a week.

Last night, I broke away from schedule and did something completely different. When I say "completely" that is exactly what I mean. I started off the evening by listening to my daily dose of Superman and Lum and Abner (actually 3 episodes of L&A.)

Then I listened to a 1961 TV show that was disguised as a radio show. It was The Steve Allen TV show and his guest was Al Jolson. While I am not much for music from the Golden Age (actually, I hate it) I listened to Jolson sing his 3 biggest hits.

Jolson is a very unconventional singer and entertainer and he commands a bit of respect from all of us - he was in the first "talkie" movie in 1927 (The Jazz Singer) and also sang in that. If nothing else, he deserves our attention for historic reasons.

Jolson has a persona about him that shows up even on radio. The first thing you notice is that he's a veteran performer, can ad-lib, has a sense of humor and when he's singing, he knows the audience respects and enjoys him. At any rate, listening to that program was quite a change for me.
---
For the past 14 weeks I have been reading about a serial called Vic and Sade. There have been many articles I haven't posted about them because I was under the impression "nobody cared" about them.

Last night I got my first taste of them, having listened to four episodes back-to-back.  What a surprise I received!  I'll write an in-depth review in a couple of days and tell you my opinions but let me just say that I found the show to be funny and quite fresh.   They aren't quite Fibber McGee and Molly but  -- well as I said, I'll give you a more in-depth review very soon.

To be honest, I cannot wait to listen to the next episode!

It's good to try something completely different.  Using Billboard's OTR Reviews (yet another blog that's not near finished yet) you can search and find hundreds of OTR programs (right now from only 1942-1944) and find something interesting.  Once you find something you like, go to your downloading spot and look and see if they have it. 

There's a surprise waiting for you in new shows.  You just have to take that leap and try some.  You never know, you never know...
---
After today, I will be caught up on OTR Casts (top of blog.)  If you find a cast photo somewhere of an OTR show, you could contribute to the collection and send it to me or a link would suffice.  Mail me at jimbo@otrr.org.
---
Hats off to all who did interviews with me for the last couple of weeks.  Not only did I get some fantastic interviews, I made some friends out of the deal as well.

Hopefully, I will revisit a few of these folks for a round two of interviews in the upcoming months.
---

This is not OTR-related but while doing research yesterday, I came across a critic that panned both the film Casablanca and Arnold Stang in back-to-back paragraphs!

And in the same paper on what I think was the same day, I found this newspaper clipping over at the side!
---
Was anyone devastated to read what I posted yesterday about Uncle Ezra not being the spry old man we all thought he was?  I'm not sure I will ever be the same.  It's a lot like learning that Santa Claus wasn't real.  No joke people - I am kind of at a loss by it all.

It just goes to show you that show business is all fake.  Your imagination is a lot more powerful as far as the art is concerned than reality (or for that matter, television.)


©Jimbo 2010/2011

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Ezra, how could you? Yes, that was a surprise. Also, I have heard some Vic and Sade on XM. I thought it was similar to Lum and Abner. I have not downloaded either show. Jimbo, you are a good man. Trying out stuff you have not heard before. I have trouble with that. The main reason being that there is so much I do like and want to listen to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling I should try out new stuff every week. I ususally try something new every coupl of weeks now...

    Vic and Sade are similar in a lot of way to Lum and Abner, I must admit.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...