Thursday, September 29, 2011

I used to have my own radio show!

I don't think I've ever shared this with anyone.  But there was a day when I used to be a radio/TV star.

I did not have my own show, exactly.  I was always the special guest star.  In turn, I rounded up my own acts to be on the show as my own special guests.

Make no mistake though, I was the star of the show.

The above is something I would go to bed with every night, in the early days of my memory - before I found the joys of OTR.  I remember how much I enjoyed the shows I was on.  Of course, later, when I found OTR, my own fantasy world I went sleep to went away.  Not that I was ever sad about that.  My show wasn't that entertaining, although I do remember "films" of myself running down the street and playing baseball and football (I'm sure whatever "audience members" who saw the show were bored to death, haha.)

As I have recounted on here before, I found the joys of Nightbeat, Lum and Abner, Broadway is My Beat, Our Miss Brooks and a few other shows in 1973.

[Interesting story about the radio I had when I was 9/10 years old.  It melted.   It melted when I went to the beach one day.  I left it out in the sun and when I came back - maybe an hour later - it melted.  It was the darndest thing.  No one ever believes me, just like no one ever believes me when I tell then I grew corn from a wayward popcorn kernal in a sink in 1983, but that's another story...]

Old time radio changed the way I fell asleep.  While I went to bed at 9 or 10 or 11 at night, I'd lie there listening to this "new thing" I had found.  Instead of killing my imaginative dreams of my own show, I just imagined what was going on in the radio shows.

And though I've told this before, oh, how lucky I was to hear Nightbeat.  Every night I waited for the announcer to say, "At _ o'clock, we'll play Nightbeat."  Only every once in a while did that happen.  It was one of life's sweet early joys.

To this day, I have no idea why I enjoyed that show so much.  It certainly does not affect me now as it did then...

©Jimbo 2010/2011

1 comment:

  1. i actually had the oppurtunity to have my own radio show. a local station, now sadly defunct, sold monthly air time to anyone interested in being on radio. i paid my monthly fee for two years, before the station was sold, and broadcast, live, each sunday afternoon a half hour drama series entitled This Desert Island.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...