Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A challenge to you: explore Vic and Sade

As you probably know,  I have several other blogs.  One of those blogs is The Crazy World of Vic and Sade.

I know (from looking at the statistics) that very few of you visit the blog.  But even if you aren't a fan of the series I think if you followed the blog, you'd get something out of it.

I spend up to 5 hours a day working on that blog.  Most of that time is spent attempting to fix the sound the best way I can.  It's not a simple case of running some program that automatically fixes it, because 90% of the time, it will not fix things.  So I have to go in there and piece by piece,  jot and tittle, fix what I can fix.  Since I appreciate the show so much, I do what I do out of love for the show.  I care about the quality.

However, my time is also spent examining the writing and the historical background of the situations and the hidden humor.  I try to keep track of a number of things, which I document.  And now there's even a companion blog to The Crazy World of Vic and Sade - that is, The Mixed-up World of Uncle Fletcher.

Immersing myself into the show means listening to each shows 4 times before I write about it.  Some shows may have 4 or 5 pages of notes, as I will listen in the evening curled up on a couch with pen and paper.  I have just finished writing about the 100th show and I find it a bit of an accomplishment to be as involved in the show as I am.  While Vic and Sade is not a soap opera  or anything like a soap opera (as many think) it is kind of built like a soap opera in that there are many, many characters.  I have documented each of the show's characters and even provided a photo "of them" - only, they are never heard, so they aren't actually real people.  Thus, there is a database of fictional people, with photos and links to the stuff they have done.

I dare say I know as much about the first 100 surviving shows as anyone.  And you too can find what I have learned just by exploring The Crazy World of Vic and Sade.

Folks, Vic and Sade is the finest program I know to exist.  Yes, Gunsmoke is great and The Six Shooter might be even better.  We all know the simplicity of Fibber McGee and Molly works on so many different levels as does the more complicated Halls of Ivy.  There are so many great things to say about the 21st Precinct and Dragnet and Suspense that it would be hard to know where to begin.  But I tell you this from my heart, from someone who listens and re-listens and documents Vic and Sade daily: it is the best show that ever has existed.

I dare any of you to go to The Crazy World of Vic and Sade, grab the hand-fixed files (they are on the top left corner of the web site) and listen to those 9 minute episodes and not come away thinking the same way I do.

Writer Paul Rhymer was a genius in more ways that one.  For instance, the show has incredible continuity.  Through 100 shows, I think I have found TWO continuity errors.  It's like the show is about real people.

And of course the show is hilarious.  From Vic and his lodge rituals that can involve Sade (who hates the lodge) to young Rush and his fantastic stories or the tales in his 3rd Lieutenant Stanley books to half-nuts Uncle Fletcher, who is eccentric to begin with - there is a crazy world waiting for you.

I challenge you: listen to Vic and Sade. It will be one of the best decisions you will ever make.

©Jimbo 2010/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...