Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mr. President - a short critique

Mr. President is a show I have long appreciated for it's production values and historical accuracy.

It is however, a show I don't listen to. Let me tell you why:

I think Edward Arnold was a top-notch actor. During his many years as a motion picture actor, he played bankers, businessmen and politicians such as mayors, governors and senators. His stern voice made him a great radio "President."

The problem with the show is just that: Arnold is the President every week. He's every President!.

The show would have been much better served if a different voice played each of the Presidents. When I listen to the show I am somewhat confused and can't play the guessing game involved (the audience is to guess what President is being portrayed as clues are given along the way) as I am more than mesmerized by Arnold being Grover Cleveland one show and Abe Lincoln the next. I would love to hear Frederic March or William Conrad doing one of those scripts (which by the way, were usually very good.)

The production value alone makes the show worth 3 stars.

©Jimbo 2010/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of this post or this site! It only take a few seconds and I'd really appreciate your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...